We are very sorry for your loss. We understand this is a very difficult time, and would like to offer you our professional support. The first and only thing you have to do at this time is call us at 516-766-3300. We are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to personally walk you through the next step in arrangement process.
The following guide has been developed for people who would like more information on what will eventually be required for a family to successfully complete funeral arrangements. We encourage you to peruse the guide at your convenience, but again, our staff is only a phone call away, and more than happy to personally assist you.
- Make an appointment with Macken Mortuary at either the Rockville Centre Chapel at 516-766-3300 or the Island Park Chapel at 516-431-7800. The funeral home will help coordinate arrangements. Some of the information necessary to complete the death certificate is as follows:
- Birth Date
- Father's Name
- Mother's Name
- Social Security Number
- Veteran's Discharge or Claim Number
- Marital Status
- The funeral home will assist you in determining the number of copies of the death certificates you will be needing and can order them for you.
- Make a list of immediate family, close friends and employer or business colleagues. Notify each by phone.
- Decide on appropriate memorial to which gifts may be made (church, hospice, library, charity or school).
- Gather obituary information, including age, place of birth, cause of death, occupation, college degrees, memberships held, military service, outstanding work, list of survivors in immediate family. Give time and place of services. The funeral home will normally write article and submit to newspapers (newspaper will accept picture and they will be returned intact).
- Arrange for members of family or close friends to take turns answering door or phone, keeping careful record of calls.
- Coordinate the supplying of food for the next several days.
- Consider special needs of the household, such as cleaning , etc., which might be done by friends.
- Arrange for child care, if necessary.
- Arrange hospitality for visiting relatives and friends
- Prepare list of distant persons to be notified by letter and/or printed notice, and decide which to send to each.
- Notify insurance companies.
- Locate the will and notify lawyer and executor.
- Check carefully all life and casualty insurance and death benefits , including Social Security, credit union , trade union, fraternal, and military. Check also on income for survivors from these sources.
- Check promptly on all debts and installment payments, including credit cards. Some may carry insurance clauses that will cancel them. If there is to be a delay in meeting payments, consult with creditors and ask for more time before the payments are due.
- If deceased was living alone, notify utilities and landlord and tell post office where to send mail.
- Funeral director will prepare Social Security Form SSA 721.
Thank you for being so nice and helpful at this sad and difficult time.